This blog is about the adventures of me, my husband, my kids, my dog Jade and my cat Midnight.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Mom's Blog
Becky, my favorite child, has set up this blog for me. I don't have much to say now, but I'm pretty sure that this blog will be an Ode to Jade, my dog.
OK. I'm not good at this, but just a few words on Mother's Day. Many women I know hate Mother's Day. I'm not sure if it's because we feel so inadequate at not being able to measure up to what our idea of a "good" mother should be or because we always hope for a peaceful, tranquil day in which our children are perfect angels all day long and our husbands pamper and adore us, anticipating our every need and whim. Maybe it's both, in any case, Mother's Day is often a big disappointment for many women. Me included. However, now that I'm older, my kids have grown up and are no longer yelling and fighting with each other in the car on the way home from church, and I don't have to feel like I'm a failure as I listen to talks exalting the virtues of mothers who do not resemble me in the least. Now as I look at my children, their spouses, grandchildren and husband, I feel a sense of contentment and peace at the family that surrounds me and that I have tried to nurture. In return I feel love and acceptance of me, the imperfect mother...and I realize it is enough. In fact it is more than I could have hoped for...being loved by such wonderful people. Thanks for the memories.
As your favorite child, I think that you should actually learn how to do real posts on this blog. It could be fun, you don't know.
ReplyDeleteBec! You gotta stop setting these things up for Mom. Oh dear...
ReplyDeleteOK. I'm not good at this, but just a few words on Mother's Day. Many women I know hate Mother's Day. I'm not sure if it's because we feel so inadequate at not being able to measure up to what our idea of a "good" mother should be or because we always hope for a peaceful, tranquil day in which our children are perfect angels all day long and our husbands pamper and adore us, anticipating our every need and whim. Maybe it's both, in any case, Mother's Day is often a big disappointment for many women. Me included. However, now that I'm older, my kids have grown up and are no longer yelling and fighting with each other in the car on the way home from church, and I don't have to feel like I'm a failure as I listen to talks exalting the virtues of mothers who do not resemble me in the least. Now as I look at my children, their spouses, grandchildren and husband, I feel a sense of contentment and peace at the family that surrounds me and that I have tried to nurture. In return I feel love and acceptance of me, the imperfect mother...and I realize it is enough. In fact it is more than I could have hoped for...being loved by such wonderful people. Thanks for the memories.
ReplyDeleteOK I accidentally posted my current blog on the comment section. I'm still learning how to use this thing.
ReplyDelete