Sunday, November 7, 2010

Gratitude and Cake Making

I know, I know.  Don't faint because I finally wrote on my blog.  It's not easy for me.  I used to love to write, then life happened, kids happened, work happened, no time happened, and finally out of practice happened.  Only I used to do it the old-fashioned way...with paper and pen.  There's something more satisfying about using paper and pen for me than punching computer keys.  Sure the computer is faster and more efficient, but I miss the feel of the pen strokes and seeing the curves of my own cursive writing.  It helped to ground me.  Maybe if I had been born a generation later like my children, I would feel differently.

Anyway, the last two months have been filled with...work.  I am often there for 10 hours a day.  The beginning of the school year always kills me.  There's so much to do and even when you think that you have prepared enough before school begins, it's never enough.  I still end up staying late most days just to stay caught up.  The bad part is all the paperwork required, the good part is the great kids that I teach and the wonderful people that I work with.  For them I am grateful and fulfilled in teaching.  I'm also grateful to have a job.  It has served its purpose in providing for my family when I was a single parent with a work schedule that closely matched my kids and good health insurance. And it has helped Bill and I to make it through the rough times.  It has provided stability.

But work is still just work.  My joy and my life's fulfillment is my family.  It's kind of like making a cake.  I am blessed to have a wonderful husband who loves me and does all that he can to take care of our family.  He is the foundation or bottom layer of the cake.  He works hard and is kind and considerate.  He loves my children as well as his own.  Not easy for many men who take on a second family.  But he makes it look easy.  He likes spending time with the kids and grandkids and finds joy in being a part of their lives.  I have learned from him and seen personal growth in our years together.

And then there are my children ... the second layer of cake.  You are wonderful!  You have saved my life.  You have helped me to stretch and grow beyond what I am naturally capable of.  You will understand what I mean as you raise your own families.  Your variety of personalities and flavors make the cake delicious.  You have chosen wonderful spouses who have added depth to our family.  They help to fill in our gaps and add new flavors like the frosting in the middle of the cake. 

And the grandchildren....  They are the frosting on my gratitude cake.  They make the cake complete.  They are the sweet gooey frosting that is being swirled and shaped even as we speak.  They add color, flavor and decorate the cake in his and her own unique way. 

So that is my Gratitude Cake.  I have been making it my whole life.  I am now putting on the frosting.  How sweet it is!  Our children are working on the first and second layers of their own gratitude cakes.  Keep working on it.  It is worth all the time and effort you will put into it.  Enjoy the process of making your cake.  Laugh at the mistakes that you make, learn from them and continue on.  It will bring you joy and satisfaction. 

Here is a picture of my Gratitude Cake!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... your family IS pretty awesome. Good thing you have us. That is a pretty good picture of everyone except for Ethan and Jake. Ethan really didn't want his picture taken that day. Plus, that was almost a year ago. Our family has grown even more since then. That is what you get for having seven kids; a big ol' family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said you'd bake us a cake!

    Bill is a great step-dad....and I know how difficult that is. I need to learn from his example.

    Good job writing Mom. You should write more often.

    ReplyDelete