Thursday, June 30, 2011

Bill Update

It has been one week since Bill had his back surgery.  He is doing better.  The first couple of days he was still working out all the anesthesia out of his system.  He was not his old self.  He didn't sleep well.  He was up, he was down, then he was up again.  I felt like I was constantly running around trying to help him with things.  I thought to myself, "Shouldn't he be sleeping?"  The 4th day after surgery was the worst for him...and for me.  He was in pain, his incision was oozing blood, he was grouchy and demanding, he didn't want to see anybody, he couldn't get comfortable and I heard, "Oooooh honey!"  about 50 million times.  I'm sorry to say my patience wore thin and I was not very sympathetic that day. 

Fortunately, things have improved since that day.  His pain meds are working even though he has now cut back on how many he takes, he sleeps most of the day and night and is getting good rest (which should help him to heal), the incision is closing and shows no signs of infection, he is drinking lots of water (but still eats hardly anything), he wears his belt support, today he walked up and down the driveway and went on a short ride to the store to get out of the house (he didn't go in the store but waited in the car for me).  And most important of all, he is appreciative of my efforts to help him and he is trying to be more independent in what he can do for himself. 

When the pain gets bad, I keep reminding him that it will get better, it just takes time.  I guess that's one of life's lessons that we all have to learn...when things seem bad, remember that things always get better ... eventually.  Have patience and faith and things will work out.

1 comment:

  1. Way to have patience Mom! We all want Dad to feel better soon. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete