Five days ago Bill had back surgery to open up and fuse two vertabrae in his lower back. Those 2 vertabrae were 90% closed, pinching off the nerve bundles from the spinal cord. We had hoped to do it 2 weeks earlier, but were delayed because an irregular heartbeat showed up on an EKG when he was in the operating room. During the next week, he had an ultrasound, EKG and an angiogram. We were relieved to find out that there was a weakening in his heart but no blockage so we could proceed with the back surgery.
The surgery went well and took less than 1 1/2 hours. The first 2 days in the hospital went well too, Bill had some pain, but he was up and walking the next day. Then we came home. Not so good. He is experiencing more pain and discomfort. He had some bleeding from the incision yesterday (today it is much better). He keeps saying that he never knew it was going to be this bad. Since I have never had back surgery, I can't pretend to know what it is like. I am sure it is miserable, just like the doctor said it would be initially. I keep reminding him that this is temporary and that it will get better as he heals.
His back problems had progressed to the point that it inhibited his ability to walk, travel and do anything that required physical activity. I am hopeful that it will all be worth it in the next few weeks and months as he recuperates and that he will have much less pain on a daily basis than he has had for the last 10+ years. We will hope and pray for the best as healing progresses.
Wrestling
6 years ago

We all pray for Dad's speedy recovery. I hope this surgery relieves a lot of his pain.
ReplyDeleteI hope Bill begins to feel less and less pain soon!
ReplyDelete