Two weeks ago I woke up and immediately noticed that my right eye felt weird. It felt different than my left eye and I could see a lot of little "floaties" in my vision. I wondered if it would just correct itself, but it didn't. With my family's history of eye problems, a few days later I decided to mention it to my mom. She said that I should go to her eye doctor and get it checked out. I told her it was probably nothing but she insisted that I should go. My brother, Gordon also encouraged me to go. Not wanting to make a mountain out of a molehill, I asked my mom to call and make an appointment. She was able to get me in yesterday at the same time that she had her appointment.
Well, we went to Dr. Carver. Unfortunately, my mom found out she will probably have to have the same eye surgery that my brother Gordon had last month. The pressure in her eye is not going down. She is feeling discouraged at the continuing progression of her vision loss. I am only now beginning to understand my mom's and brother's frustration with their vision problems.
Then it was my turn to be examined. My vision was good in reading the eye chart (20/20). My eyes were dilated and then the doctor looked inside my eyes. At first he commented on how it was nice to see a healthy eye for a change, then he stopped and said, "Oh. You have a tear in your retina and it has started to detach." "You're kidding." I said in shock. "No, I'm not." he said seriously.
The doctor later said that it was a miracle that I had come in so that they could repair the tear with laser surger in his office. He said that most people don't recognize the symptoms of torn retinas until it is too late and then they have to go through eye surgery and/or suffer from totally detached retinas and permanent vision loss in that eye.
The laser surgery only took about 5 minutes but it felt like an hour. I had to hold my head very still so that he could accurately seal the torn area on my retina with lasers. I didn't have to try to keep my eye open (totally impossible) because the doctor held it open. Because the tear was at the top of the back of my eye, I had to keep looking up during the procedure. The lasering was a serious of very BRIGHT lights going through and into my eye. When it became uncomfortable, he would stop and let my eye rest for about a minute and then continue. There was no sharp pain, but after repeated lasering it felt like my eye was aching. It also gave me a headache for the rest of the night. It took 130 laser shots to seal the tear. Amazing what our medical knowledge and skill can do. Thirty years ago, I probably would have gone blind in that eye.
I am feeling VERY blessed and grateful that I noticed a change in my eye and that my mom and brother insisted that I go get my eye checked out. If I had waited even a week later, I would be having eye surgery instead of going back east to visit family and I could have had some permanent vision loss. Blessings!!!!
Wrestling
6 years ago

Im so glad you caught the eye problem in time. I have bad eye sight and my eyes are always getting swollen from allergies and stuff. I hope i dont have future problems with my eyes, but i dont think thats going to happen. Hope your eye starts to feel better.
ReplyDeleteGood thing they convinced you to go! It's better to get things checked out than to hope the problem will go away on its own.
ReplyDeleteGood thing you had a beautiful daughter to pick you up at the eye doctors. You are so lucky.
ReplyDelete